The Cross-Border Road Transport Agency
The Cross-Border Road Transport Agency (C-BRTA) exists to improve the cross-border flow of commuters and freight operators who make use of road transport.
Its function as an interstate operations agency is to reduce mobility constraints for road transport operators, in the form of regulating market access and issuing cross-border permits, while facilitating sustainable social and economic development in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region.
The C-BRTA is proud to have remained the driving force behind the region’s cross-border business focus for more than 20 years.
Our legislative mandate
- To improve the unimpeded flow of freight and commuters across the SADC region
- To introduce regulated competition in respect of cross-border passenger road transport
- To reduce operational constraints for the cross-border road transport industry as a whole
- To maximise business opportunities and liberalise market access in respect of cross-border road freight transport
- To empower the cross-border road transport industry by improving the safety, security, reliability, quality and efficiency of services
- Improve institutional performance and governance
- Improve non-financial performance reporting
- Increase participation in border operations
- Develop cross-border industry partnerships
- Build entrepreneurship and capacity for SMMEs in the transport sector
- Roll out an Industry Partnership Development Plan
- Improve client relationship management and implement a client feedback mechanism for all services
- Harmonise standards and procedures
- Improve operator compliance
- Review the C-BRTA mandate
To be a champion of free-flowing interstate operations.
To spearhead the unimpeded flow of interstate operations, thereby facilitating sustainable social and economic development.
We are professional, honest and fair, and do not tolerate crime, fraud and/or corruption
We are open and accountable in our interactions with our stakeholders and staff
We are dependable, trustworthy and value our customers
We are innovative and passionate about performance
We achieve our set goals and objectives with desired outcomes
6. Social responsibility
We seek to contribute towards the greater good of our country and continent by supporting social development and economic growth