Road Safety Tips
Tip 1: Pre-Trip inspection of vehicle:
- Conduct a compulsory pre-trip inspections on your vehicle to ensure tyres are properly inflated,
- Wiper blades in working order,
- Seat belts in good conditions and working order,
- Spare wheel is available and properly inflated,
- Headlamps and brake lights in working order,
- A reflective jacket in-case of emergency stops,
- Triangle is in place.
Tip 2: Driver fitness:
- Go for preliminary medical check-ups with a registered general practitioner to ensure the following:
- Balanced sugar levels,
- Balanced blood pressure, if using spectacles ensure they are properly maintained and visibly clear for driving purposes,
- Avoid using intoxicating medical drugs or similar substances before or whilst driving,
- Take a break for every 200kms or 2hours.
Tip 3: Compliance with Road Safety Regulations:
- Keep a safe following distance of at least 3.5 metres or see three broken lane lines, but it would be advisable to keep at least 10 metre distance in-between cars moreover on busy national roads.
- Keep to stipulated speed limits,
- Keep safety belt on throughout the trip.
Tip 4: Compliance requirements with cross border road transport legislations:
- Keep to the stipulated maximum number of passengers,
- Ensure all passengers in your vehicle your vehicle are in passion of valid passports or travel documents,
- Complete a passenger list/consignment note before departure,
- All passengers including the driver and children must wear safety belts,
- Goods in the vehicle and trailer should be securely packed and fastened,
- Comply with stipulated maximum speed limit.